Wednesday 4 July 2012

Dangers of Home Made Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise... got to have it on a BLT, got to have it with fries, just got to have it! Don't be fooled though, there are many alternatives out in the market posing as "the real thing" but they really don't cut it for me. "Whole Egg Mayonnaise", "Soy Mayonnaise" and, in really tiny print "just like real mayonnaise". We're convinced into grabbing a jar off the shelf for our convenience and it's gracing our tables before we know it.

Not me though! I can't tell you the last time I bought the stuff off the shelf. I've been making my own for over 20 years now and my recipe has never failed me.

I am aware though that there are some "dangers" with mayonnaise due to the egg base, specifically to pregnant women, and possibly to the very young and elderly. It's to do with raw or unpastuerised eggs not being "safe".

Well yesterday, I found out that just making too much at once, by hand, isn't safe either and today I have a thumb that is so swollen and bruised you'd think I'd broken it.

I truly don't know what happened ... I don't have my stick blender anymore, it's in our lock-up since downsizing, so I've had to resort to making mayonnaise (and countless other things) by hand. So grabbed a large stainless bowl, and started whisking like crazy until I'd made the perfect mayonnaise - nicely balanced, tangy and sweet, good hit of mustard, and nice creamy texture.

As I was whisking away, I added a good splodge of oil - I guess around 100mls - and carried on whisking. The mayo split of course, but no panic, that's easily fixed. Added a little lemon juice, whisked away and it came right. 

Then, just after I'd scooped it all into my container I felt something "pop" in the inside crease of my thumb, then I couldn't move it anymore. It started to swell and go black and what looked like a varicose vein started popping up. Shit! Do I need to go to A&E? Do I have a DVT? What's going on? Then my thumb just grew and grew, and the pain started and it throbbed all night. I woke this morning to a less swollen but very black looking thumb. And, really the photo I took just doesn't do it justice!

Dangerous stuff mayonnaise!

According to Heston Blumenthal, who I think is barking mad and really, who "wants to cook like Heston" anyway, egg mayonnaise can take something like 400 times oil volume to one egg yolk! (I confess, I love Heston!)

I think that most people have a simple mayonnaise recipe or you can find one online easily, but today I've put this up because my friend Maisie has inspired me to. She told me last night she's doing a challenge to feed her and her husband for $80 a week (stay posted because she's going to be a guest contributor to my blog). So Maisie, this one's for you ... it's cheaper and tastier than many off-the-shelf varieties, and I'm sure during the week you can work it into a few recipes!

 Thumbs Up Mayonnaise

___________________________________________________________________________________

Thumbs Up Mayonnaise

1 egg yolk at room temperature
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp good honey (NZ clover honey if you can find it)
juice of 1 lemon
200mls or thereabouts of vegetable oil
1 tbsp boiling water
salt and pepper to season

Hand whisk version:  In a stainless or glass bowl add the egg yolk, mustard, honey, salt and pepper. Whilst until well combined. Add one teaspoon of oil and whisk well. Add another teaspoon of oil and whisk and continue doing this until you've added around 8 teaspoons of oil. Now you can add more oil in and whisk. What you're looking for is the initial emulsification of the oil and egg yolk, once you've got this you can add the oil in greater volume.

Once you have the right amount of oil that you need, you can add the lemon juice. Taste, and make sure you have the balance that you like between the lemon, mustard and the sugar. You shouldn't taste the oil and neither should you be able to taste the egg yolk.

When you've reached the right flavour and consistency, add the boiling water and whisk through. I understand that this will "stabilise" the mayonnaise however I'm not too sure what this really means! The mayonnaise should be a light and yet thick consistency.

Stick blender version: I use the tall container that comes with the stick blender but if you don't have this, any tall container that will fit the stick blender should do. Add all the ingredients except the boiling water and turn on the stick blender. This should emulsify all the ingredients in a matter of seconds. Put into a bowl and whisk through the boiling water. Taste and adjust flavours and seasonings. (The hand whisk version is less dense than this but it takes a little more time.)

Variations: Where to start ... well try adding some garlic (roasted is delicious) or some lime or lemon zest. Use a whole grain mustard instead of Dijon. Add a pinch of saffron and lime zest together for something a little more decadent.

Bon Appetite!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So the husband says: it was all worth it ( the damaged finger)

Anonymous said...

Ow. Not looking too good is it. But I am sure the mayo tasted good.